Your physician will conduct a detailed medical history and physical exam to better understand the possible causes of your pain and determine the best treatment approach. Imaging and other diagnostic studies assist your provider in realizing a better understanding of the internal pathology of your body and help diagnose the source of your pain with the best treatment options.
Common causes of neck and back pain:
- Trauma or injury
- Muscle tension or spasm
- Sprain or strain
- Ligament or muscle damage
- Joint problems (i.e. arthritis)
- Protruding or herniated (slipped) disk and pinched nerve
- Overuse, improper use, or strenuous activity (i.e. heavy lifting)
- Degeneration of vertebrae, caused by stress or aging
- Infection or abnormal growth (i.e. tumor or bone spur)
- Obesity, placing increased pressure on your discs
The primary goals of neck and back pain treatments are to relieve symptoms and improve your daily life.
At Southern Pain and Spine, our board-certified doctors utilize minimally invasive, non-narcotic pain relief options to help patients reduce pain and achieve a better quality of life.
For most patients, conservative treatments will help them relieve their pain and get back to their lives – without the risks associated with surgery. We always strive to use multi-modal treatment plans. Medication, physical/occupational therapy, behavioral health, and interventional treatments are only some of the many treatment options.